IMPORTANCE OF BOTANICAL GARDEN
IN THE SCHOOL CAMPUS
A Botanical garden has an important place where the systematic study and research on the flora of the particular region is carried out. The Research institutions grow and maintain the living plant collections, including medicinal, ornamental and economically important plants of various geographical locations.
Sophisticated botanical gardens include green houses, a library, research laboratories, plant specimens, photographs and paintings, They are of values not only to botanist, but for the visitors too as they become aware of the importance and the values of the plants.
Luca Ghini was the first person to establish a botanical garden in 1543 at Pisa in Italy.
1) To halt the current loss of plant diversity, especially of medicinal plants.
2) Provide a tool to enhance ecosystem approach for the conservation of biodiversity.
3) Focus on the role of plants in maintaining ecological balance.
ABRIEFACCOUNTON IMPORTANCEOFBOTANICAL GARDEN:
1) Academic Importance: Botanical garden provide academic courses on identification and importance of plant taxonomic studies and horticulture methods.
Education is the powerful strength of any botanical garden residing in educational institutions, which allow them to communicate the importance of plants and their conservation.
2) Taxonomic importance: Botanical gardens provide information on various plants species including economical, medicinal and rare endangered plants.
3) Conservation of flora: Botanical garden act as a reservoir where plant - flora can be conserved under ideal conditions.
4) Scientific Research: Botanical garden act as an host institute for providing various medicinal plant species to researchers for conducting their research activities.
5) Public Service: Botanical garden contains label of scientific and common names of the flora residing there thus help identifying plant species for gardening.
6) Aesthetics: Botanical garden attracts people who make gardening their hobby.
Botanical garden maintains wide variety of species as live plants, seed banks and tissue culture. Thus botanical gardens contain large collection of flora for educational, scientific study and display for the public. The conservation of floral diversity is important for the sustainable development. Therefore, botanical gardens play a key role in the conservation of floral diversity.
No Birthday Today
News & Update
Thought of the Day
Life leaps like a geyser for those who drill through the rock of inertia.